Property allowance considerations: Joint properties held in unequal proportions

20th May 2019

The property allowance was introduced on 5 April 2017, allowing a flat rate deduction of £1,000 to be claimed against property income, in lieu of keeping detailed records of expenses.

This however, raises the question as to whether individuals renting out a joint property are required to make the same claim as one another. In short the answer is no. The claims are not dependent on one another and in some circumstances it can be beneficial to make opposing claims, as detailed below.

Joint ownership of rental properties

It may be beneficial in some circumstances for one person to claim expenses as usual and the other to claim the property allowance, particularly if a property is held in unequal proportion.

Example: Peter and Tom

Peter and his son Tom own and rent out a property, which was purchased a number of years ago. Peter owns 90% of the property with Tom owning the remaining 10%. The property income, taking into account the most beneficial elections available, would be:

  Total (100%) Peter (90%) Tom (10%)
Income 15,000 13,500 1,500
Actual expenses (5,000) (4,500) (500)
Property allowance   (1,000) (1,000)
       
Taxable property income 10,000 9,000 500

 

In this case, Tom is better off claiming the property allowance as his proportion of expenses is below £1,000. However, Peter clearly should not make the claim and instead should deduct actual expenses in the usual way (as these are well above £1,000).

It is therefore worth considering the percentage ownership of your rental property, ensuring that the most beneficial claim is made for each individual year on year, rather than for the property as a whole.

Other considerations

Depending on your circumstances, there may be further considerations. For example, if you jointly own property with your spouse and want to change the split of income to reflect the beneficial ownership, a form 17 would be required by HMRC.

In such cases there are other tax factors to consider including the implication for capital gains tax in the future, as well as non-tax factors such as wills and any mortgage on the property. It is therefore recommended to always get both legal and financial advice before proceeding with any transfer of beneficial ownership.

For more information on the property allowance and how it may benefit you, contact us here:

https://www.whitingandpartners.co.uk/about-us/contact-us/ 



 
Other items in Blogs
 
Thomas Nicholls
15th June 2021 Tax on Cryptocurrency does not have to be cryptic

Within the last 10 years the cryptocurrency scene has exploded from the first decentralised cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, being created back in 2009 to now more than 4,000 different cryptocurrencies being in existence with a total market cap value of over £1trillion.   This has led to the creation of the Cryptoassets Taskforce which was announced back…

Read More »

Jaimie King
14th June 2021 Deferred tax rate to increase

Deferred tax is a provision on the balance sheet for timing differences in tax and accounting treatment of certain items, and is measured at the rate of tax that the differences are expected to reverse in the future.   In recent years, deferred tax has been measured at the current corporation tax rate of 19%,…

Read More »

Scott Butcher
9th June 2021 Paying VAT by Direct Debit – check your HMRC records

HMRC are in the process of moving VAT records for non-MTD registered traders from their old database to a new one.   Due to banking requirements if HMRC does not hold a valid e-mail address for a trader, when the data is transferred to the new database, any existing direct debit mandate will be cancelled.…

Read More »

James Cater
4th June 2021 Delivering Rural Investment for Vital Employment

  There is a new support programme, DRIVE, that can result in grants of up to 40% of total project costs for businesses in Norfolk and Suffolk that wish to undertake projects that primarily create new employment within the rural economy. Grants can be up to 40% of total project costs with a minimum grant…

Read More »

Steven Denton
3rd June 2021 National Insurance holiday for employers hiring veterans

Following an announcement by the government in 2020, from April 2021 employers hiring former members of the UK armed forces will be exempted from any NI contributions liability on the veteran’s salary up to the Upper Secondary Threshold (UST) in the first twelve months of their employment. However, under current guidelines relief for the 2021-22…

Read More »

Stephen Malkin
28th May 2021 Xero – Multi-factor Authentication

  Do you use Xero?   If you do, then multi-factor authentication when logging in will become compulsory after 2 July 2021.  From 1 June you will be prompted to set this up but can defer up until 2 July 2021.   Having a second layer of security is designed to prevent anyone but you…

Read More »