Data Source: Whitings’ SME Growth Index
The Whitings’ SME Growth Index is a barometer to measure and bench-mark how successful our clients are in being able to grow their businesses. It is constructed as follows:
- Year on year turnover (excluding exceptional income sources) is continually measured over the review period.
- Results are assigned to the year in which the year end falls,
- Data is extracted from the accounts of a random sample of approximately 500 anonymized local SME businesses.
- Sample only includes trading businesses (excludes investment businesses, clubs and charities).
- Average growth is calculated as the median of the sample.
- Sample includes businesses in start-up and cessation phases.
- Sample includes both entrepreneurial and lifestyle businesses.
- The data breaks down into 14 trade sectors.
Blog entry by: Ian Piper